Healthy Lemon Bars
When my grandmother would come visit when I was younger she would bring tons of cookies from her little Italian cookies to fudges to lemon bars. They were absolutely heaven.
Sometimes, during the holidays she would mail us tons of cookies and let me tell you, they did not last at all.
I decided to give lemon bars a try. I googled and looked over tons of recipes for lemon bars and it’s really simple but honestly it’s sugar on sugar on sugar. It’s like I couldn’t escape it. The closest thing to a non super sugary recipe I found was this “paleo” lemon bar thing and it just wasn’t what I wanted.
Finally, I decided to pick and choose ingredients that I wanted to use.
Disclaimer: Unfortunately these are not my grandmothers lemon bars.
Ingredients for your healthy lemon bars:
For the crust:
- 2 cups of ground oats (I used my nutri-bullet to ground them)
- 1/2 the amount of zest from those same lemons
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 stick of room temperature butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- The rest of your lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of ground oats
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice (About 3-4 lemons)
Steps for your healthy lemon bars:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Ground the oats and add all of the crust ingredients together.
- Place this mixture into the baking pan. Pat it down, in an even layer.
- Place this in the refrigerator to cool down.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients, slowing adding in the eggs.
- Take the crust out of the refrigerator and place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown.
- Once done, place back into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to cool down before adding the filling.
- Once it is cool, layer the filling on top, in an even layer and place into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool, once out of the oven.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top (optional)
I swear using powdered sugar on anything seriously transforms it.
Despite them not being the traditional lemon bar, they were good and I am actually very proud of them.
I hope you guys can try these out and if you guys have any comments or questions let me know!
In case you missed it, here are some other posts:
I cannot wait to share with you all everything that is coming! If you have any recommendations of what I should write about next please share, I want to write about what you want to read about.
Submit your email to subscribe to Think and Bee Happy to be the FIRST to receive these blog posts.