Grove Collaborative Review | Should You Try It?
If you’re like me, you’ve seen ads for Grove Collaborative everywhere! I’ve seen them on Instagram and Facebook so I decided to see what they had to offer.
About Grove Collaborative
Grove Collaborative boasts that they sell “natural household and personal care products”.
They are a Certified B Corporation
This means that they are part of a community of companies that are “legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment”. There are over 1,000 companies within 64 countries around the world that are Certified B Corporations. Companies include Ben & Jerry’s, Stonyfield Organics and New Belgium Brewery. A company has to have a minimum of an 80 impact score to qualify as a Certified B Corporation and Grove Collaborative’s score is an 84.6.
They carbon offset every shipment
On their FAQ page they explain what they mean by this: “Carbon offsetting is the reduction in emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases to offset an emission made elsewhere. Here’s how it works: we purchase credits to fund projects that reduce pollution such as wind farms, solar installations, or energy efficiency retrofits in order to counteract our shipping emissions. We carbon offset every shipment at no cost to you. It’s a great way for our whole community to reduce our carbon footprint!”
Arbor Day Foundation
They also claim that every shipment will help to plant trees across the United States through the Arbor Day Foundation. Grove Collaborative pledged to donate 1 percent of sales from Grove Collaborative’s Seedling branded paper products toward the Foundation’s reforestation efforts. Arbor Day Foundation is one of the largest nonprofit membership organization dedicated to planting trees. They are seeking to improve air quality, deforestation and water quality.
At Arbor Day Foundation you can:
- Buy trees
- Become a member for $10 dollars and receive one of the following:
- 10 trees to plant in your own yard
- They’ll plant 10 rain forest trees and you receive a t-shirt
- They’ll plant 10 trees in an area in need
- Start a fundraiser
Recently, Jacob and I have really gotten into Dave Ramsey. We’re trying to budget and do the baby steps, so getting the most bang for our buck is something we are looking for. We would love to pay as little as possible for the best products. Products that are preferably organic and uses the least amount of harmful chemicals as possible. Crazy, right? I know it sounds impossible but we’re going to try to do it.
I bugged Jacob for days because I wanted to order from Grove Co. and he was kind of weary. (I just really wanted to receive a box of goodies in the mail, can you blame me?) His reservations included:
“Grove is a subscription company, will we be able to stop auto shipments and payments?”
I looked on their website and asked some of my friends about the company and they had nothing but good things to say. Their customer service is said to be amazing. I mentioned them in an Instagram story and they actually DM’ed me. They said “Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about our products or service. We’d be more than happy to help you make an informed decision before ordering”. How nice? Before I even ordered I felt like they had amazing customer service.
On Grove’s FAQ page they have all the answers. One question is
“How do I cancel my Grove Collaborative subscription?”
“Grove is intended to be flexible for every situation. Whether you are a family of 6, or a household of 1, Grove makes it easy to get what you want, when you want it.
Customization tools such as editing or postponing orders helps keep you stocked up when you start to run out of products.
However, we realize auto-shipments may not work for everyone. If you’d like to order on an as-needed basis, you can manage your account and turn off auto-shipments by clicking here. Keep in mind, staying on auto-shipments does get you a lower order minimum. For more info about order minimums, click here.
If you would like us to completely remove your account, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll take care of that for you right away.
If you’re still not sure whether to stay or go, we want to make sure you know how the Grove subscription works, so keep reading for more information!
With Grove auto-shipments, there’s no monthly commitment, your orders are completely customizable, and we have a 100% happiness guarantee. These features are what make Grove different – you decide what you want and when you want it. That’s why 90% of Grove customers who try out 2 shipments are still ordering from us a year later.”
They also have screenshots of how to manage your account. Awesome, right? I was convinced that if we needed to or wanted to, we could EASILY suspend our shipments and customize it to what we need/want.
I have read other reviews of Grove Collaborative and things that they have said:
- “Grove Collaborative signed me up for automatic shipments without my permission” – Grove collaborative is a subscription company and they state this everywhere.
- “Grove Collaborative doesn’t use all natural products” – What’s awesome is that you can pick the products you want!
- “Grove Collaborative adds in products to your cart without your permission” – They add in products that they think you want to make it easier for you but you can always replace them!
These complaints can be remedied by reading and doing some research before ordering, which I always suggest.
We decided to order!
What we ordered
- Seventh Generation glass and surface cleaner $3.99
- This cleaner is said to have 0% VOCs (volatile organic compounds – compounds that easily become vapors or gases), synthetic fragrance, dyes, and harsh solvents.
- Method all purpose compostable cleaning wipes (70 count) $6.99
- I actually found this product at Target for $5.99, not a significant price difference but a dollar is a dollar. These are amazing! They smell so good and they’re so easy to use. They’re made with “non-toxic, plant-based powergreen technology”.
- Seventh Generation dishwasher packs (20 count) $4.99
- This product is at Target as well, $11.99 for a 45 count bag. This product is made with 0% fragrance, dyes and chlorine bleach. Seventh Generation is also a Certified B Corporation.
- Mrs. Meyer’s Room Freshener $4.99
- This stuff is amazing! Usually I have candles burning all throughout the house but sometimes I just want to spray this. It lasts so long and this lavender scent is heavenly. Mrs. Meyer’s bottles are made with at least 25% post consumer plastic.
Our free gifts:
- Grove Collaborative glass spray bottle with silicone sleeve & glass concentrate
- You just have to fill the spray bottle with the cleaning concentrate and then fill the bottle with water and shake. Both the bottle and the silicone sleeve are dishwasher safe. I haven’t used the glass concentrate with it yet, I actually filled this bottle with a little bleach and water. It’s amazing, I love this glass bottle.
- Grove collaborative walnut + cellulose scrubber sponges (2)
- These can be used on cookware, glassware and countertops. They are also dishwasher safe. In reviews that I have read, users have said to pass on this product but I’m still excited to use it.
- Mrs. Meyer’s hand lotion
- This lotion is made with shea butter & almond oil. There is a household hint on this bottle: “The best tip we have for Hand Lotion is simply this – use it! Hands spend so much of the day hard at work: typing, driving, cooking, leading little ones across the street. Give them the break they deserve with this moisturizing formula”.
- Mrs. Meyer’s hand soap
- This was part of the free gift at Target it is $3.99. This hand soap is made with olive oil and aloe vera. It’s made without parabens and formaldehyde.
- Grove Collaborative cleaning caddy
- I’m excited to use this, especially to clean our cars.
All of this for only $22.64! Our total was $65.69, we received a first purchase discount and it took off $44.73 and we also received free shipping!
For some reason I was so excited for the glass spray bottle, can anyone relate? We ordered on June 25th and received our purchase on July 1st.
I know everyone hates receiving a million emails, and I’m with you! Between the time we ordered and the time we received the package we received 3 emails from Grove Co. The first one said “Your Grove Collaborative order has been received” and it had details of my order. The second one was a day later from “Kim” and said “Welcome to Grove Collaborative”. The third one was a “Here’s what’s next” email, detailing when my next shipment was scheduled for and information about my account.
With the package there was a little letter from Kim. It said:
“You’ve got help at home.
Hi, I’m Kimber-Lee, and I’m excited to introduce myself as your dedicated Grove Guide. I’m here to help take the guesswork out of what’s right for your home and guide you to the products that actually deserve a place in it. Email or text me anytime.
A bit about me
I’m from Brooklyn and currently live in beautiful, colorful San Francisco. I love dancing, cooking, fashion designing, going on spontaneous weekend adventures, and anything sandalwood scented.”
Little touches like this is what it’s all about!
With your first purchase, along with getting some free items, you’re automatically signed up for the VIP membership for a 60 day free trial. You can always cancel this membership or you can pay the $19.99/per year to keep it.
With the VIP membership you’ll get:
- Free shipping with every order
- Free full sized gifts throughout the year
- Early access to exclusive sales
- Price matching
Are the products really clean?
I am absolutely no expert in this field! I would love to only use clean and natural products but for me that is just not entirely realistic. I LOVE bleach, (gasp). Am I the only one? I think it cleans just so well! Of course there are tons of “alternatives” such as lemon juice, tea tree oil, borax, vinegar, baking soda and Castile soap. I use bleach every once in a while when I want things to be EXTREMELY clean. Because of this I would say if you’re trying to buy natural & clean products do your research before ordering from Grove Collaborative.
Should you try Grove Collaborative?
I think you should give it a shot! You can pick the products that you want, the customer service is absolutely amazing, and its fun to open up a big box of goodies. I suggest trying the trial membership and seeing if you like it!
What are some of your favorite products from Grove Collaborative? Are there any chemical free/ organic household products that you love? I would love to hear feedback about your experience with Grove Co. also!
In case you missed it, here are some of my latest posts:
Coming next to the blog is a review on mushroom coffee, a brewery in Omaha, Ga & dairy-free coffee creamer and milk.
Leave some comments
Remember to subscribe below!