Since Hurricane Joaquin wanted to terrorize the eastern coast of the U.S. there has been nothing but rain here in Georgia. So as a result I have gotten sick. Whenever I’m sick I just want to lay in bed and watch Netflix. I lose all motivation to do anything and it’s honestly disgusting. So I decided to make soup! I was looking up different soup recipes and came across one that has potatoes, lentils and carrots (which I love) and we had all the ingredients in the house so it was perfect.
I am the only vegetarian in this household so of course the meat eaters were expecting something for themselves other than just vegetable soup, so they grilled some sausage.
But I’ll tell you how this vegetarian soup went!
Ingredients for your vegetable soup:
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic (minced)
- 4 potatoes
- 16 0z of lentils
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 6 cups of water or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
Steps for your vegetable soup:
- Rinse the lentils and remove any unwanted foreign objects.
- Soak the lentils in water to soften them.
- In a pot, heat up the oil, add the garlic, onions and carrots to the pot.
- Once the onions were soft, add 6 cups of water or vegetable stock.
- Drain the lentils and add those to the pot, along with bay leaves, potatoes and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer.
- Once the soup is almost done, add in the kidney beans and vinegar.
Tips for your vegetable soup:
-It’s important that while you’re cooking you’re constantly tasting your food. Everyone relies on the cook to make sure the food is seasoned well! So taste your soup and add salt and pepper accordingly.
-Once my soup was almost done I added the red kidney beans because they came from a can and they didn’t need to cook as long.
Also while the soup was cooking I made a pot of rice. I have become accustomed to eating soup with rice and I’m not sure if others are or not but I love it!
In my bowl I placed spoonfuls of rice and covered it with my soup and garnished it with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and a slice of avocado.
The soup was hearty and warming.
In case you missed it, here are some other posts:
I cannot wait to share with you all everything that is coming! If you have any recommendations of what I should write about next please share, I want to write about what you want to read about.
Submit your email to subscribe to Think and Bee Happy to be the FIRST to receive these blog posts.